Saturday, April 15, 2006

Tidbits

Some tidbits that Mrs. Davis, Sofrito Gringo, and Mom-101 evidently thought y'all couldn't live without knowing:

(1) Daddymatic and I met in high school, two years before we actually met. His debate partner and my debate partner 'dated' (which is to say: hooked up on debate trips, made mix tapes for each other, and spent way too much money on pre-cell-phone long-distance calling), and we are sure we were introduced to each other at some point, but neither of us remembers any specifics. We also joke that we “spent the night together” 3 years before we dated b/c we took an overnight train to Scotland while we were on summer study in Oxford. And in case you're wondering, yes, debaters are among the dorkiest humans ever. Even when they're not wearing t-shirts that say "Debaters do it orally." Oy.

(2) I shaved my legs on the Orient Express. There wasn't any hot water on the Budapest-to-Vienna leg of the trip back in '88, though.

(3) In an effort, apparently, to be whimsical, I started my graduate school application for studies in southern literature with this line from an Indigo Girls song: "When God made me born a Yankee, He was teasin'." Seriously. I was that much of a dork. My former advisor still rags me about it, as he should.

(4) Daddymatic and I lived for six months in Suwalki, Poland, whilst serving in the US Peace Corps. The coldest I remember it being was -25C.

(5) I took my second pregnancy test ever in Badlands National Park, South Dakota. I walked back to the tent, shared the news, and Daddymatic and I picked D's name within 5 minutes of said pregnancy test.

(6) For some reason, I can remember almost every line from Eddie Izzard’s Dressed to Kill routine and most of the prologue—in Middle English, no less—to The Canterbury Tales, but I cannot remember the name of the mom I JUST introduced myself to at the park like 5 minutes ago. Or what I wore yesterday. Mommybrain goes away, right?

And because I am always one to share the love, I'm tagging five of you for this meme:
Chris
Emily
Lisa
Kat
Kristin

Your mission, should you accept: Post 6 strange or interesting things about yourself, and then choose 6 people to do the same (I know I only did 5: do as I say, not as I do.). Tell them they are tagged in their comments box. You can report back to me when you've done it or not. Just remember that we're all counting on you.

Oh, and one final tidbit: of course we caved and got the Volo. Yes, it's everything Wood, Mom-101, Nancy and Foodmomiac suggested it might be. Of course, it took me 5 hours to figure out that BRU=Babiesrus (probably because we call it "babysaurus"), but once I did, we drove to the nearest one (1.5 hours away!) to comparison shop. Here's the thing: if you don't want to spend a buncha money, don't even LOOK at the Volo. 'Cause it's pretty. And light. And it is sooo well designed. And you will find that you can justify almost anything to yourself, even spending $50 more than you wanted to (or, let's face it, $50 more than you even have) . So anyway, there it is. Thanks for your help; photo essay to come, I'm sure.

Finally, I also have to report that if you're wondering why it takes us so long to get through lunch, this is why:




Video Hosting - Upload Video - Photo Sharing