Thursday, August 09, 2007

From the You Cannot Make This Stuff Up Files

Ok, so the preschool teacher told me the other day when I went to pick D up that she had been tickling him, because she loves to hear his laugh, and he was laughing, laughing, laughing. And then she stopped, and he stopped laughing and sighed and said "That was amazing."



So then we were trekking out to the bicycle stable shed in the backyard and he was asking for, oh, I don't know, the thirty-thousandth time if he could ride the "big Zander bike" which, as I may have mentioned, has had to be replaced for a short period by a Slightly Smaller Big-Boy Bike (which he is riding here) as he can barely reach the handles. I had already told him, oh, twenty-nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety-nine times that he could not, he was still too small, he can ride it when he's three next summer, so I opened my mouth to answer him (perhaps in a voice not specifically designed to be an Inside Voice) when he looked at me like I was nuts, cocked his head, laughed and said "Mommy, I'm just bein' a joke."

And then when I was playing hooky from church, attending a rally for my new man-crush, D and Daddymatic were working the coffee hour room after getting their Eucharist on. Apparently, D asked for--and received, because Miracles Happen in Church--a cupcake. He ate the icing off, handed it back to Daddymatic and asked for another in that Toddler Trance Voice, the one where they kind of mutter the same thing over and over because they know you aren't listening but are hoping to wear you down by sheer volume? And Daddymatic was apparently not wearing down fast enough, because the kid took his father's face in his hands, looked into his eyes and said "DADDY, DO YOU HEAR MY WORDS? I WANT ANOTHER CUPCAKE."

Of course, it's not all Kids Say the Darndest Things around here all the time, though--I think I actually may have said the words "I will stop yelling when you start listening." But then I turned immediately into my mother, so I don't remember much after that.