Saturday, November 04, 2006

And here I thought object permanence was a pain….

This kid’s memory is getting to be amazing. Last weekend, for instance, he begged me to help him put on one of his many “truck” shirts—this one has diggers and dump trucks printed on it, and he would not. stop. hassling. me. about putting it on him. Normally, I am extremely patient with the numerous costume changes that must be effected hourly around here, due in part to one or more of the following: poo, yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, milk (from drinking like a “big boy”) and personal preference “Airplane shirt! On!” This time, however, it was approaching bedtime and it was time to put on “motorcycle jammy-shoes” (“jammy-shoes” = footed sleepers). I convinced him to let me put the shirt on Elmo and promised him he could wear it on our weekly bagel shop visit the next morning. This placated him, and I assumed the issue was closed, forgotten, deleted like a picture on a well-shaken Etch-a-sketch, which is always the way it was Before The Rules Changed.

Not so. The next morning, the monitor blared like a loudspeaker in a barracks: “Daddy! Wake UP! Truck shirt! Bagel! Daddy, wake up! Bagel! Truck shirt!”

This memory thing may not be all it’s cracked up to be. How is it fair that his is getting better and mine is getting....what was I saying?

P.S. Is it still Sunday? Then go here and follow the directions to vote for Nancy for Member of the Week. You don't even have to be a member, just have a website. And remember, I could medal in Olympic level Nagging, so you do NOT want me to have to do this another week. Also, you should do it because you will be one of my next nominees.